Friday, September 3, 2010

Diego on a Dime (megan's version)

So, being pretty much unemployed has made me tap into my inner budget-conscience diva. It's amazing how inventive you are forced to get when you are trying to live of off...well, nothing. So, that being said, I thought I would share some of my forced knowledge with the world.

1)THE PARKING GAME:
Even though I have my entire day free....I wait until 6pm to go running. All of my favorite running destinations have paid parking, but I have learned that if you go after 6pm...the meters are free. (daily savings: $1.00-$1.50)

2)PLAYING THE TIMESHARE CIRCUIT:
Izzy & I spent out Sunday sitting through a really boring 90-minute timeshare presentation...Lord knows I can't even afford one roof over my head, let alone a second...but we had our eye on the prize. The game plan: sit through and smile and in the end say "no thanks"....so we did, and we were handsomely rewarded with 2 Padres tickets and a 4 Day/3 Night Vacation to Napa, Tahoe, or San Francisco w/ airfare included. I'd say it was worth the 90 minutes. (savings: um, I dunno..a lot)

3) TAMING THE MANE:
I haven't had any sort of service done to my hair since March...the situation is bleak. I recently started realizing my roots were reminiscent of a trailer park occupant...so I got a box color to make me look less-homeless. But, I'm still left with the situation of a haircut....my ends sort of look like dry hay. So, I've been emailing salons to get on their "hair model" list...which pretty much means is a stylist needs to practice or take a class I can get a free haircut by sitting through their session. I'll let you know how it works out. (potential savings $150+)

4) FUEL SHORTAGE:
To make my fuel get me further I have learned to survive a really hot car. My two rules are (1) no A/C, it wastes gas AND (2) no windows open on the freeway, it creates drag and is less fuel efficient. But, in the end i figure...most people would pay to sit in a sauna, so not only am I saving money on gas...I'm also getting a spa treatment out of the deal to. (savings: limitless)

Hmmm...I'm sure I've got more. I'll keep them coming as I uncover some more insider scoops.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are oh so thrifty!!!!